If you've ever attended any of Iva's gigs in the past you will realise when the critic's say she is "the definition of the one to watch" "musically intelligent and sophisticated" you will know they're absolutely 100% right.
A beautiful artist both inside and out, the soulful and heartfelt tunes from her debut album Black Eagle will surely move and entertain all who head along.
To celebrate the release of the album, Iva is embarking on her first national tour. Kicking off with a very special gig in her home town of Wellington on release day, where many of the artists who performed on the album will join her on stage – the tour then heads to Auckland, Raglan, Leigh and Dunedin before finishing in Christchurch.
critic's say she is "the definition of the one to watch"
1. Where’s your favourite place in New Zealand to get away from it all?
2. Where do you call home - where are your roots, your history?
Born and raised in Wellington NZ. Mother is originally from Western Samoa and was raised by her samoan grandmother Iva (who I was named after) and her chinese grandfather Lamkam in a small village also named Iva until she left the islands at 22 to join her cousins in NZ. I would say both Samoa and NZ are my home.
3. Where is the coolest, most interesting place you’ve visited?
4. Where is your favourite place or audience that you love playing too?
Best crowd I performed to was at Womad 2010 in Taranaki. It was packed, crowd was epically epic & was over the moon by their response.
5. What’s your favourite music festival?
I don't have a favourite festival yet but if I do go to Glastonbury Festival it will be my favourite haha
6. What sets your latest album apart from your previous efforts?
Kinda just threw myself in the music business, not knowing what was required musically and so my craft didn't have technique, control, and an open mind when we wrote the EP in 2008. All I could do was sing, write the songs & let everyone else control the music etc. With black eagle album, I was more in control this time and challenged myself personally and musically to find the elements. I've definitely learnt a lot about my craft over the years, I still think it's still hungry for more.
7. What was the last movie you saw? Would you recommend it to your mates?
Prometheus. Don't think mates would be into aliens and strange script lines.
8. If you weren’t a musician what would you be doing for a living?
9. Which performer would you most like to meet up with? Living or not.