Walks in Auckland: Onehunga to Pah Homestead
This walk begins and ends at Onehunga Railway Station. We head up along Onehunga Mall with
One Tree Hill in the distance and past the interesting collection of shops and cafes. Then walk
along residential streets to enter Monte Cecilia Park. Enjoy the view across to One Tree Hill and
the trees in the well kept grounds. You may wish to linger at Pah Homestead’s cafe and the TSB
Bank Wallace Arts Centre. Exit down the old carriageway with views over Manukau Harbour, and
head down the hill of Queenstown Road to the Onehunga Bay Reserve.
A mix of level paths, steps and slightly inclined paths. Suitable for users of average
fitness and mobility. May require boots in wet weather, running shoes suitable in dry weather.
To see: Historic cottages, Views of One Tree Hill and Mangere Mountain, Historic Homestead and
TSB Bank Wallace Arts Centre, Pah Homestead.
approx. 90 minutes.
About 7.5 kms.
Princes Street, Onehunga
Buses and trains go to Onehunga. Public transport Journey Planner
View Auckland recommends The Library Cafe
at 55 Princes Street, Onehunga.
Onehunga Mall, Onehunga Bay reserve.
Jellicoe Park and Onehunga Bay Reserve.
Jellicoe Park, Monte Cecilia Park, Onehunga Bay Reserve.
On leash only.
Onehunga was one of New Zealand’s first and busiest ports. In the 1840’s attractive Government
legislation allowed settlers to buy land direct from Maori land owners on payment of a small tax
to the government. Onehunga was seen as a key position in the military and naval defense of the
western perimeter of Auckland and thus became one of the areas for Fencible settlement. (Fencibles
were from the military pensioners and discharged soldiers in Great Britain. They would be known
as 'The Royal New Zealand Fencibles' also referred to as Pensioners and were to become permanent
settlers as well as a back-up military force).
Starting from Onehunga Railway Station:
1. Exit right into Onehunga Mall and head north.
2. Turn left into Trafalgar Street.
3. Turn left into Selwyn Street.
4. Turn right into Grey Street.
5. Turn right into Jellicoe Park.
6. Cross over Queenstown/Pah Roads and turn right.
7. Turn left into Korma Road.
8. Turn left Monte Cecilia Park (Korma Road entrance) and continue straight ahead up the paved
path alongside the metal fence (Marcellin College grounds).
9. Turn left at cross paths and follow gravel path to the TSB Bank Wallace Arts Centre..
10. At next junction turn left along the Carriage Way Walk (or turn right to enter the Pah Homestead
for the TSB Bank Wallace Arts Centre).
11. At the T junction, turn right and retrace your steps back to Korma Road.
12. Turn right into Korma Road.
13. Turn right into Pah Road.
14. Cross over Herd Road, then Queenstown Road at the lights, continue down the hill.
15. Turn left into Beachcroft Avenue towards Onehunga.
16. Cross Beachcroft Avenue just past the pedestrian bridge (that goes over the motorway)
and enter Onehunga Bay Reserve. Continue straight ahead alongside the lagoon.
17. Exit the via the carpark and turn right along Beachcroft Avenue.
18. Continue straight ahead into Princes Street.
19. Return to Onehunga Mall.